Monday, March 28, 2016
My real name is Melissa Ganus, and when I set up this blog as Melissa Ganns, it was because the stigma of being out about my ADHD diagnosis was too risky, and I hadn't yet finished my doctorate.
Now I'm Dr Mel Ganus and you can find out more about me at www.drmelganus.com. I'm consistently happier than ever and now proud of my divergent brain instead of ashamed. Contact me if you'd like to know more! My email is dr.mel.ganus -at gmail. I'd love to hear from you!
Saturday, January 26, 2008
Almost everyone I've met who has told me their first impression of me has included the words "energetic and enthusiastic." My animal totem is the hummingbird, racing a mile a minute. After taking the Myers Briggs type indicator too many times, I know I'm an ENTJ with a high E, that's getting a little more mellow over the years, but is still higher than most (I'm still impressed anytime I meet someone intelligent who is more nonstop than myself).
- watch the blank screen, waiting for a letter to appear
- when a letter appears on the screen (at irregular intervals), press the space bar...
- ...unless the letter is an X; if it is an X, do not press the space bar.
I pressed the bar like a psych student's lab rat, just as soon as something showed up on the screen. I found it nearly impossible to catch that it was an X before I had already pressed the bar, and after 5 minutes, I was getting ready to chew my arm off from the boredom. After 15 minutes, they popped me out and scanned my head.
- The transparent blue matrix shows "average" brain activity (=~55% of the maximum blood flow in the area).
- The red areas represent the "hot spots" (>85% of the maximium blood flow), and
- any white areas represent the "white hot hotspots" (>92% of the maximum blood flow).
So now, let's look at my brain, scanned after the concentration activity:
A little bit busier than "normal" ? And lit up in areas that normal was just "average" in. So how does that compare to my brain relaxed?
Look at all those white hot spots!! No wonder I have so many ideas and connect so many seemingly unrelated concepts together!!! And many of my best ideas come when I am relaxed.
Thursday, January 3, 2008
But for now, new blog up and functional, as I become less so...